Anything you want to know from Taiwan’s president?
On Friday morning, President Ma Ying-jeou will give an English press conference for the Taiwan Foreign Correspondents‘ Club. Like all members, I will have the chance to ask him one question. What would you suggest?
What do you want me to ask Ma Ying-jeou?
Please leave a comment with your suggestion.
Things to keep in mind:
- Only serious suggestions. I will not publish anything else here.
- No arguing. I am only interested in suggestions.
- Not too uncritical. Even if you like the man or his politics, I believe that journalists should always have a critical attitude towards those in power. Also, it would be a wasted opportunity.
„President Ma, please explain how you will improve the relations with Beijing even more.“
- Not insulting or confrontative. Even if you dislike the man or his politics, he is a duly elected head of state, and foreign media ought to respect his status.
„President Ma, don’t you agree you should step down, since you obviously lost the public’s support?“
- Not too predictable. Ma is a seasoned professional when it comes to dealing with media, and you can be sure that he has a lot of stock answers prepared in the back of his head.
„President Ma, there are people who accuse you of selling out Taiwan. How would you reply to these accusations?“
- Not too long. Everyone only has 30 seconds to ask his question.
Your comments will appear after I’ve approved of them. No need to post more than once.
I will take all suggestions into consideration and then try to ask Ma the question I find most interesting on Friday morning.
Please note: There is no guarantee that I can actually ask a question. The whole event is limited to an hour, and the moderator will select questions through a show of hands. There will probably not be enough time for everyone to ask.
In any case, I will try to post a video of the whole press conference as soon as possible.
„We are an independent country“ *
Over the years, I’ve seen Ma Ying-jeou address the foreign press in English on at least five occasions.
Ma last addressed the Taiwan Foreign Correspondents‘ Club in 2010. Back then, I filmed this video with a key quote:
It was even featured on an Al Jazeera program in the run-up to Taiwan’s 2012 presidential elections.
(* Note that Ma carefully says „we“ and not „Taiwan“, so he probably means the Republic of China. Nothing spectacularly new in this statement, really.)
More videos of Ma Ying-jeou speaking English
2012, international press conference ahead of the presidential elections (video):
2013, welcoming a group of international human rights experts (video):
What did the scholars say about Taiwan’s human rights situation?
English posts you might want to have a look at: