After a slow start, there are now quite a few quality podcasts about Taiwan in English. Let me introduce those I recommend you check out.
A few months ago, together with Berlin-based Mariano Glas, I kicked off a German podcast about Taiwan. It’s called Taiwancast – not too original, but catchy enough, would you agree?
We have nine episodes out now (plus a pilot) talking about political developments and backgrounds as well as everyday phenomena in Taiwan listeners are interested in. You can subscribe to the Taiwancast right here on my blog. However – it’s in German only.
Luckily, there are already some great Taiwan podcasts in English. These are the ones you should give a try:
Ghost Island Media
- Metalhead Politics – feat. parliamentarian / Chthonic frontman Freddy Lim. Currently on a break after „season one“ is finished. All episodes still well worth listening to. Every time towards the end, Freddy will explain the Taiwanese lyrics behind his song’s melodies and sing for the listeners.
- The Taiwan Take – A current affairs show on Taiwan and its impact on the world
- Waste Not Why Not – A science podcast on sustainability and how not to save the environment
- Taiwan This Week – Compact weekly news round-up, sometimes featuring yours truly
- Taiwan Talk – Conversations with interesting people
- Talking Taiwan – More conversations with interesting people, from a Taiwanese-American perpective
Any other recommendations? Please share them in the comments!
English posts you might want to have a look at:
- Discovering Taipei’s history on a special walking tour
- Urban renewal vs. traditional Taipei in Wanhua
- How Taiwan’s cities can be made less ugly by renovating old buildings
- How the Taipei Dome robbed citizens of a second forest park